Thursday, May 17, 2012

Winter in Manhattan Odyssey Weekend Eight: Friday Evening

           “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.”
                                                                           St. Augustine
      
Photograph of McKim building and Madison Avenue entrance
The JP Morgan Library, phot from their website
 After the tour, I finally made my way to the JP Morgan Library (Madison and 36th Street).  It is free on Friday evenings from 7-9 pm.  I had read about a Shakespeare exhibit beign held.  It also has a tremendosu collection af art as well as the library.  I also found an interesting exhibit of art from a private collection belonging to a Fashion Designer.  The piece I found most interesting was by the Cuban photographer Abelardo Morrell.  (My family has a personal connection to him, so that was a treat.)
      
Image of Amazing Grace
John Newton's Amazing Grace, photo from the JP Morgan website
            I then wandered upstairs and saw an exhibit called "Diaries".  I initially walked away, but decided to turn around and go in.  I am so glad I did as it turned into another OMG experience.  There were diaries from a myriad of people from throughout history!  Albert Einsteins' mathematical musings done during his first trip to Japan.  Nathaniel Hawthorne, EB White, Charlotte Bronte, Mark Twain, a witness to the Boston Tea Party, and so many more.  Thrilling and remarkable!

William Shakespeare, photo from JP Morgan's website
          Finally down to see the Shakespeare exhibit.  It was focused on a "newly discovered" portrait that is believed to be one of the only ones done while William was alive, and that he may have actually sat for.  Oh, to listen to the pseudo Intellectuals spewing, was almost worth the price of admission! (0$ for that evening!)

            Completed by day with a quick stop at The Gingerman (right around the corner) tos chat with K and have a glass of the Frambois that I learned to love.

               

No comments:

Post a Comment