Sunday, May 6, 2012

Winter in Manhattan Odyssey Weekend Six: Sunday

       "Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
         'I will try again tomorrow.'"                                            Mary Ann Radmacher

Woke up Sunday to sun, and jumped on a bus up to 78th for a massage at Eastside Massage, a birthday gift from K.  After a lovely hour of pampering, I decided to walk down to the Samuel J Friedman Theatre on 47th  to try and get discount tickets for “Good People”.  A beautiful walk through the park, and was rewarded with a ticket! (Word to the wise: when using www.Broadwaybox.com.  discount codes, some, not all, theatres actually ask for a printout of the code.  I explained I had no access to a printer, and was given a break.).  Jumped on the train, and went home for a few hours before the show, and had a light bite to eat.
From the website
             Frances McDormand played the lead in “Good People” (and won the 2011 Best Actress Tony for her work).  The play was written by David Lindsay-Abaire, who won the Pulitzer in 2007 for “The Rabbit Hole”. He grew up in a housing project of South Boston, and was given a Boys and Girls Club scholarship to Milton Academy, an elite private school in my home town.  (Cynthia Nixon won the Tony for her portrayal of the lead in "Rabbit Hole" on Broadway, and it was then subsequently made into a movie with Nicole Kidman for which she was nominated for an Oscar.  He is great for woman actors, obviously!...Bostonians: "Good People" is on the agenda for The Huntington Theatre 2012-2013.)

           It was a wonderful couple of hours that sent me back to my eleven+ years working in Southie.  The theatre was in uproarious laughter, often, so I was not the only person to totally enjoy it.  I remember during those years, one of my best friend’s older brother was right out of medical school, practicing at the Health Center in South Boston, and he asked me how I liked working in Southie.  He said so many of his friends couldn’t understand how he could stand it, and my response was that Southie was awesome.  It was full of tough “thugs” who were basically “Good People”!  The review I just read on Theatremania, described the play as not about Race, but Class.  And, that conversation between myself and Dr all those years ago, was the same.  We truly are all products of environment, we can get stuck there, or change and grow..  Isn’t so much of life like that?!  (Full disclosure: Dr is now my Internal Medicine Doctor.  His Dad was my whole families’, including my Daughters’, Pediatrician.)

Back to “my” apartment, chatted and shared in some Chinese food delivered from a favorite neighborhood place.  Into the hay, as I wanted an earlier start to my Monday. (Love my long weekends in Manhattan!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment