Thursday, May 3, 2012

Winter in Manhattan Odyssey Weekend Five: Sunday

  "Life's like a movie, write your own ending.  Keep believing.  Keep pretending."  Jim Henson
lululemon athletica
Lullemon, from their website
Sunday morning I awoke really refreshed, and finally made my way to the Lullemon store on 3rd Avenue and 66th Street, a ten minute walk!  At 10:00 a.m. on Sundays they offer a free yoga class.  I was a bit nervous as to whether it would be above my level, but was actually perfect (although all the sun-salutations into chatarongas that young instructors like..agh, that’s how I ended up in PT for three months last spring..I know now to modify ..).  It was my first class led by a guy, again a bit of trepidation.  It was fine.  And, not too crazy crowded!  Lullemon in Union Square also offers a free class on Saturday mornings.
                By the time I got home Everybody was up and about as Roomie’s dear Friend and her Daughter  were coming for a short visit.  Friend was, and is, a great friend who had been there for Roomie in tough times.  Her Husband’s job had taken them to Pittsburgh, but they had kept this apartment for his business in the city, and her times to play.  (How I wish…..).  Friend was amazed, and I think pleased, when after a short time she realized that I had melded into Roomie’s life as a friend, not a distant business partner roommate.  I assured Her that we were all feeling very fortunate at how things were working out.
Rosa Mexicano, from their website
             Roomie’s Partner treated us to another of her wonderful brunches.  Roomie went off to rehearsal for her show.  Daughter to the computer, Partner to shopping, and myself to relaxing, again, in my room.  A couple of hours before I needed to head to the bus, I went down the street to the Rosa Mexicano,  a tremendous restaurant on the corner of 1st and 58th.

            So, now I have officially eaten at every little restaurant on my block in the five weekends thus far, Mexican, Italian, French, Asian, and Organic Coffee with music on weekends.  And, why do people question why and how I love New York City?
                I got a compliment? By the nice young High School senior sitting next to me on the Megabus home.  I was typing some of my thoughts, and she asked me if I was a writer.  I stuttered, stammered, and said, “ In my dreams!”  (A patient later told me, after hearing this story, to forever more say, yes, I am a writer!  This Patient actually has defended her dissertation on a Union of Ladies of the Night, and is now trying to get a book contract!)
                A quick note on the sweet High School Senior.  She had been to Manhattan to visit her Brother who’s working in the financial world, living in a tiny apartment around 42nd Street on the East side, and who had given his little Sister tickets to Wicked for Christmas.  Halfway home, Senior in High School Girl connected with a friend on her phone.  She was told all about the weekend she had missed, including apparently some major “drama”.  Apparently some Girl had gotten high, then drunk on Baileys and coffee.  I had to laugh out loud when my Busmate asked, “How old is she?  Isn’t that what people in their twenties drink?”  OMG, the irony, heartache, and yes, drama of the High School Years.  Thank you, God, I am done….


No comments:

Post a Comment