Sunday, April 1, 2012

Winter in Manhattan Odyssey: Grouchy G..

         "I am where I am because I believe in all possibilities."  Whoopi Goldberg

            On a day when I swore I was done with Craig, again, I couldn’t help myself, I responded to an advert which I thought may have brought me to my second most promising lead.  It was an interesting ride with G. I think there’s some cultural differences, and according to some scathing reviews on the internet, she’s just not that easy to deal with.  But, I didn’t need to be her best friend, and she has some apartments in good neighborhoods.
     “Hello,
      I'm interested in your place, it looks lovely.  I am giving myself the gift of "Winter in Manhattan".  Now that my Daughters are grown, it's time for some bucket list dreams to accomplish!  I'll be coming down weekends January through March.  What are your plans?  Shall we chat?
Thanks, Kathy”

      Reply from G (aka Grouchy G):
“i own many apartments
Nightly $150
monthly $3500
5star  highrise onthe 49th floor
52inch faltscreen tv wifi dsl internet, spa pool
my offi e hours 5am - 5pm only”
Now, when I first started using emails, etc., I was taught by my Daughters that using capital letters was considered yelling in computer speak, so I’m not sure what G’s usage would be considered.  But, again, she has some nice looking places on the internet, so I continued, even with the negative reviews playing on my mind…
We played some email tag (all of G’s in “capital letters”), talked on the phone, and set up an appointment for my Daughter to meet her (she lived very close to the Corinthian) and check out an apartment.  K got screamed at for calling too late at night (8p.m.) and not calling to confirm the appointment hours before, but eventually saw the place.  
Corinthian Apartment Building, from its website
      “Good Morning G,
      Thank you for showing my daughter your apartment.  She said it would be great for me.  The views are "to die for".  (I'm all about sunsets and sunrises!)
      Now here's my dilemna:  I have a budget of for my "Winter in Manhattan Odyssey".  I appreciate the rate of $150 you have offered me.
       I was thinking of 26 nights total in my dream..Friday & Saturday nights, with an additional Sunday night on the long weekends in January and February.
      That brings me above budget by $900.  So, I could cut out a few weekends, which would lessen the commitment I made to you.  Will that work for you?  Would you still be able to give me the $150 a night rate, if I cut out 3 weekends?
     Thanks, again, for your time, help, and consideration.  Kathy”

“i am in the  business to be fully booked 365 days
to accomodate you is , i acutally have to leave an apt vacant to your convenience ?????????????
NO IT IS NOT NEGOTIABLE
        “G,
          I never expected you to leave an apartment vacant.  I appreciate you are in business and not just doing this for the fun of it.  I too have to work very hard for a living.  How I wish I could come down and truly just live the dream...I guess I assumed you'd still be filling the apartment when I wasn't there..I do also know that the winter months can be slower, so I again assumed (incorrectly, obviously, but you know what assuming does...) that having a sure bet of 20 booked nights by November for the slower months might be a win-win for both of us..( I was planning on sending you the dates I could get down there immediately so that you could have filled the apartment in the times I wasn't coming down).
        Apparently this won't be a good situation for either of us.  I was looking forward to meeting, working with you, and enjoying your lovely apartment.  I'll continue my search.  And, best wishes keeping your apartment filled 365 days a year.  Kathy”


“ i, apologize 
i need to know the dates!
if the apt is rented monthly you are out 
All i can say "TODAY" 
its booked Nov13- 18th (paid for)
i can assure you 7 days in   advance which apt is not  taken monthly.
it will always be $150  a night irrelevant which apt
( penthouse/ 2bedroom/ 1bedroom)its always $150”


                    “G, 
                     Sometimes it's so hard to communicate by email..misunderstandings are too easy...I am perfectly willing to go to any apartment you have open on any given weekend (it will give me a chance to explore different neighborhoods).  I am really glad this will work out, after all.  I was really looking forward to meeting you!   Anyway, at lunch, I will email you the exact dates I'd like a place to lay my head in Manhattan!
Take care.   Kathy”

“thank you, for giving me an opportunity
G”
“Thank you back.  Kathy”
 Finally, after some more crazy emails, for both of us I’m sure, and a very heated phone discussion that I have absolutely no clear understanding of, I decided life was far too short to fulfill dreams with somebody like crazy grouchy G.  (I’m pretty sure I did tell her that as well!)
            So, it presently stands that I am completely done with Craig and his list, at least as far as finding apartment vacation rentals or sublets for my Winter Odyssey in Manhattan.  When I go to Manhattan in a few weeks to play and stay with K for my Birthday weekend, I have open appointments to meet with the Lady in Sutton Place, and another Man I found through VRBO who has a few apartments in different neighborhoods.  He says he’s willing to work with me on my budget as long as I don’t mind moving among his places.  I’m not worried.  It’s been an adventure already, a sometimes frustrating, but always an educational, and interesting one.  And, what would an Odyssey in New York be without its misadventures and drama?!
              


No comments:

Post a Comment