Monday, April 23, 2012

Weekend Two, Sunday of Winter in Manhattan Odyssey


     “I think that travel comes from some deep urge to see the world, like the urge that brings up a worm in an Irish bog to see the moon when it is full.” – Lord Dunsany

New Portico Gallery Opens
The Frick Collection from its website
                   Sunday morning headed out to visit the Frick Collection on East 70th and 5th Avenue.   From its brochure: Internationally recognized as a premier museum and research center, The Frick Collection is known for its distinguished Old Master paintings and outstanding examples of European sculpture and decoration.
The collection was assembled by the Pittsburgh industrialist Henry Clay Frick (1849-1919) and is housed in the Frick family’s former residence on Fifth Avenue.  One of New York City’s few remaining Gilded Age mansions, it provides a tranquil environment for visitors to experience masterpieces by artists such as Bellini, Rembrandt, Vermeer, Goya, and Whistler.  The museum opened in 1935 and has continued to acquire works of art since Mr. Frick’s death.”
OMG, I think I may have found a museum that rivals the Gardner Museum in my heart!  (I have to read more about the Frick family as I’m not sure if any of them are as interesting, and awesome as Mrs Jack.)  But, quite honestly the art in the Frick is more to my taste, and so many of my favorites artists are there!  Besides the illustrious group noted above I saw one my favorites, a Piero della Francesca.  Think of any artist you’d love to see, or that you’ve studied, and I think the Frick may have it.  My mouth kept dropping open as I came upon El Grecos, Gainsboroughs and Constables, Valesques, Titians, Monet, Degas, Van Dycks, De saint Aubin, Veronese, Renoir, Manet, sculptures by Rousseau.  It was an enthralling hour or so.  The normal charge is $18, but on Sundays from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. it is pay what you wish.
I left the Frick fully intending to jump in a cab to get down to the theatre district to try and get tickets to “Million Dollar Quartet” (recommended by a doctor).  But the sun was shining, it was brisk, and I started to walk.  Walking along 5th Avenue, I thought, this is it, I belong!  I crossed over at the zoo and was greeted by llama, goats, and sheep!  Walked 30 blocks to the Nederland theatre to find out no Rush seats were left ($30), and the only tickets would be $75 even with the http://www.broadwaybox.com/ code that I had.  I didn’t want to pay that much, so headed up to the TKTS in Times Square, same result.  And, no other shows I was really interested in seeing.  So, next best thing.  A good lunch!

Anitpasti @ Becco
 As I was quite tired and foot sore from my long walk, I wanted to eat close by.  I would gladly have gone to K’s old restaurant, Esca, but it doesn’t open til 4 pm on Sundays.  I decided to go to its sister restaurant, Becco, on “Restaurant Row”, 46th street.  It is one of Lidia Bastianich’s restaurants, real Italian, red sauce type comfort food, perfect for a cold Sunday afternoon in January.  I love sitting at the bar, especially if I’m alone.  You may end up having nice chats with people near you.  Becco has a nice prix fixe lunch that I took advantage of, salad or antipasti, and as much of the days three pastas as you wanted.  As I must have a nice glass of wine with a great meal, I asked the bartender to choose for me and he informed that Becco has a great selection of bottles of wine for $25!  I declined a full bottle, and had the antipasti.  It’s excellent, a selection of grilled and marinated veges, and a couple of seafood selections.  The pastas were great, and again, perfect for a cold winter day.)
            Towards the end of my dinner, a couple sat next to me, and eventually we started chatting.   The wife, grew up in the same part of Ireland as my Grandparents (Lietrim) so we were quickly long lost friends.  Her niece works at Becco, and they were there for an annual dinner to commemorate Her Mom’s birthday.  Before long all her sisters, and assorted family members arrived and I was part of the clan.  Had a wonderful time chatting, and one of the sis’ looked my Mom (perhaps truly a long lost cousin)!  Finally decided my time at Becco must end, so off I went.      
Professor Thom's, New York, NY
Professor Tom's from its website
My Daughter, is a real sports fan, and the Pats were playing the Jets in a playoff game.  She was meeting friends at a “Boston” sports bar near the East Village.  So, I headed south.  Took the train to Union Square, and decided I must poke into Nordstrom Rack. Then headed to Professor Tom’s, on 2nd Avenue between 13 & 14 Streets.  Nightmare, worse than the Oak Bar last weekend.  I walked through hoards of people to no avail. Texted K to say I was out of there!

Decided one more time to try the TKTS booth in Time Square, still nothing of interest, so headed "home" fro the night.  I was beat, and more than content.

No comments:

Post a Comment