Sunday, April 1, 2012

Winter in Manhattan Odyssey: Searching for My Pied a Terre in Manhattan

"Patience and Perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish." John Quincy Adams

The fun began.  I had given myself a realistic budget, so as not to break our bank.  I reached out to Everybody I know who has connections in Manhattan asking for any leads.  I then sent out many requests through VRBO.com as I had worked with VRBO in the past, especially finding wonderful apartments in Italy a few years ago for my 50th birthday celebration.  And, I went to my friend Craig.  I have had great luck and success in the past on Craigslist, renting and home swapping.  I have also been scammed.  So, I thought I was a Pro in all departments.
I was quickly brought to the realization that sub-letting, or renting, an apartment on my budget in Manhattan was next to impossible.  I know and appreciate that I could have probably found something in one of the other boroughs..but ala Kate Hudson in “Raising Helen”  I wanted to be a Manhattan Girl, at least for my first adventure “living” in New York City.   I also realized that being infinitely naïve, it is very easy to get caught up on a scam on Craigslist (more on that in a bit).
Sunset in Maine
 My younger Daughter expressly told me not to post anything on Craigslist.  Too late.  I had literally just posted this:  Hello, I promise in advance I am a sane, professional woman with two homes.  Having raised my Daughters (for many years as a single Mom) I can start fulfilling some "bucket list" dreams.  A major one: living in New York City.  Although I am still working full-time as a Dental Hygienist in Boston, I'd love to winter in New York on weekends.  Anyone with a 1 bedroom, or studio, that is able to help me with my dreams?  I am limited in funds.  I know, a crazy dream, but hoping somebody out there in Craigslist world has empathy, and the ability to share in this crazy economy!  (Somebody heading south, teaching away, or has a pied a terre that is not used in the winter?!)  Besides the rent I could pay we could perhaps also arrange a home swap with our retreat in Maine in the good weather ....I would ideally love to come down January through March, for long weekends, sometimes longer if I can rearrange my patient load.  Thanks in advance for your help, and consideration.  (Scammers..let's not waste each others’ time, okay?!  My Daughter who lives in New York will help me in researching my home away from home for the winter!)”
               I actually got a few responses to that.  One came from a Lady on Staten Island to which I promptly said thanks, but no thanks.  I have a family funny story about Staten Island, but that’s for another time.  Another promising one, actually, came from a Professional Lady in the Sutton Place neighborhood.  She described Herself as a Lady my age but young in spirit with many younger friends.  My Husband thought that sounded a lot like someone he knows well!  We planned to meet when I went for my Birthday in December.  My dilemma with that is, I had thoughts of being alone.  Do I want to be in somebody’s home with them?

No comments:

Post a Comment