Sunday, April 1, 2012

Winter in Manhattan Odyssey: Holiday Markets in New York City

"The magi, as you know, were wise men — wonderfully wise men who brought gifts to the Babe in the manger. They invented the art of giving Christmas presents." - O. Henry, short story writer

Grand Central
               After the illuminating, if frustrating and disappointing, experience with VRBO Man’s apartments, I did some shopping at the Grand Central Holiday Market in Vanderbilt Hall, picking up many goodies.  The Holiday Markets in New York are awesome.  They are filled with interesting things from lovely artists and artisans, and many things can be found for reasonable prices.  There are many other great shops at Grand Central as well.  The food court is tremendous.  And, the main Hall is magnificent.  During the Holidays there is a laser light show.  (Grand Central’s renovation was one of Jackie Onassis’ last projects, a gift to all of us.)
The Pond at Bryant Park
               I’ll digress a bit here to tell of the other Holiday Markets.  Bryant Park has one as well as a skating rink for the winter (which is free, a rare occurrence in NYC!).  Bryant Park is one of Manhattan’s many treasures.  Situated right behind the main branch of the New York Public Library (the site of Carrie Bradshaw’s ill-fated wedding to Big!) it’s truly an oasis between 5th and 6th Avenues and 41st and 42nd streets.  In the summer time there are movies and concerts.
Inn @ Irving Tea Room, from its website
Union Square Park
from Joolie T
          Another is at Union Square Park, at 14 St and Broadway.  Also, on the park is one of New York’s best farmer’s markets.  It is another urban oasis (Central Park, the Emerald Necklace in Boston) designed by Frederick Law Olmstead.  Thank God for that man! In the same neighborhood my family enjoyed a wonderful High Tea a few years ago at the Inn on Irving (56 Irving Place between 17th & 18th Streets).
Time Warner Center
Central Park South is the site of the final major Holiday Market.It is directly across the street from the Time-Warner Center at Columbus Circle which always has a tremendous Christmas light display. Around the city many smaller Christmas fairs and markets popup. Another great one is at St. Bartholmew's Church on Park and 51st Street. . 
St Bartholomew's Church, New York, NY
St Bart's, from its website

The Campbell Apartment, from its website
               Within a short time at the Grand Central Market I felt like a veritable bag lady(unfortunately not like Julia Roberts in “Pretty Woman”!)  So, I thought I’d treat myself to a glass of wine at one of my favorite places anywhere for a cocktail.  (It was my birthday after all!).  The Campbell Apartment at Grand Central is a real treasure.  The owners describe it this way: “The Campbell Apartment is a spectacular one-in-a-kind space (within a one-of-a-kind space).  Formerly the luxurious office and salon of a ‘20’s mogul John W. Campbell, this fully refurbished space revives the lifestyle of that storied era.  The breathtaking interior features intricate architectural details and craftsmanship including extensive wood work, a balcony, a decorative beamed ceiling, an immense leaded glass exterior window, and a massive stone fireplace.”  My family was quite impressed with me when I discovered it a few years ago.  Alas the secret is out and it was mobbed that night. So, I picked up a bottle of wine, and a piece of chocolate mousse cake, and went home to K’s apartment.  I very happily got into my pj’s, onto bed with my treats, and watched Christmas movies.    
             I have these New York’s websites on my favorites list: http://www.nycgo.com/ and http://newyork.timeout.com/.  I check these out every time I go to Manhattan to see what’s happening.
               



No comments:

Post a Comment