Saturday, April 21, 2012

Weekend two, Friday, Winter in Manhattan Odyssey

   "I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."  Jorge Luis Borges

Another six a.m. bus from South Station, fortunately I was able to sleep most of the bus ride again. Bus arrived right on time, jumped in a cab, and arrived to my NYC home by 11:30am.   Out for the day, I headed down Lexington, poking in a couple of boutiques on my way to the New York Public Library on 5th Avenue and 42nd Street.  Decided to get a small something as the granola bar, and coffee I had wasn’t going to last me so I popped in to a Café Metro.  It was freezing out, and soup was just what the doctor ordered for a day like this. Café Metro is clean, with great fresh food and there are many locations around the city. 
Another chain that I’ve frequented in the past is Pret a Manger.  I saw a sign in one of their windows that said their food was fresh daily, and each evening leftover food was distributed to homeless shelters.  Also they advertised the wages (quite a bit above the national minimum wage), and their humane treatment of employees.  Now truth be told, when I come to Manhattan, I like to “dine” a bit, but these two chains are great for a nice quick bit on the run.  (I just read they are coming to Boston.)
Lobby Entrance @ the New York Public Library
from Tina L
            The New York Public Library is a gorgeous building and walking through the front doors was amazing.  Understood why Carrie (ala “Sex and the City”) wanted her, albeit ill-fated, wedding there.  I joined a free tour of the Library led by a volunteer Docent who loved her job.   It was a well-spent interesting hour or so.  At the end of her tour she passed out 10% off coupons for the gift shop.  I have found over the years that museum gift shops are some of my favorite places to shop for gifts, and odds n ends, never been to one in a library before.  Actually had lots of great items and saw a couple of things in particular that I liked. 
Original Winnie the Pooh

Winnie and Friends
The Library has an incredible amount of interesting “stuff” and there’s always special exhibits going on.  I went down to the children’s room to search out the original Winnie the Poo!, Tigger, and friends who reside there. 
                Leaving the building, I went behind the library to the lovely Bryant Park where each winter a skating rink is erected.  A few of the shops from the Christmas Markets were still there, so of course I had to poke around, and found a few treasures for the Girls.  (Funny, just that week on Facebook, a Milton Mom asked the question as to when we stop buying presents for our kids..I didn’t respond because I don’t think she was looking for my response…never.  I still enjoy buying the Girls things..)
                Off to The Ginger Man again, to check in say Hi to K (had a great audition today!).  Felt like a star as many of the young Ladies working came to give me hugs and hellos.  Had a spicy buffalo shrimp plate, and two beers! Time to head “home” and meet up with Roomie for dinner.
Dylan's Candy Bar from its website
              Roomie’s Daughter requested that we go to to California Pizza Kitchen.  Shared lots of small plates, great!  And, then to a place next door that I’ve read a lot about, Dylan’s Candy Bar.  (It’s on 61st and 3rd Ave).  Ralph Lauren’s daughter, Dylan, came up with this idea.  Simple.  And Brilliant (although not cheap)!  I even bought my Mom a SkyBar, remember them?!
                Home again.  We walk everywhere! 




No comments:

Post a Comment