Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Winter in Manhattan Odyssey: Weekend One/Friday

            “There is no moment of delight in any pilgrimage like the beginning of it.”
                                                                          Charles Dudley Warner

My Odyssey begins!  After an easy uneventful bus ride (which I managed to sleep through), even though it snowed much of the way, I arrived in New York City for my adventure to begin.   I took a cab to "my" apartment in Sutton Place as my suitcase was quite heavy with my new sheets and towels, some shoes, boots, clothes, and new Origins toiletries that my older daughter, K, had given me for Christmas.  I felt like a young co-ed heading off to college!  My new Roomie greeted me at the door with a big "Welcome" sign and showed me the ins and outs of my new home away from home.  I unpacked, and moved into my room, and bathroom
Penelopes photo courtesy of Amanda H
                I then walked the sixteen blocks to K’s apartment observing my new neighborhood.  It was snowing, and lovely.  The walk took me along 1st Avenue, past the United Nations.  Arriving at K’s building, I was greeted by the Doorman who remembered me, "Mom".  ( I love going were they know my name!!).  Off we went to lunch at Penelopes, on Lexington @ 34th.  I had been there before, and it was wonderful.  Good home-cooked comfort food with a new twist.
We then walked to Ks new place of employment, The Gingerman on 36th between 5th and Madison, where I met many of her co-workers, and friends.  This job was a very good one for K, much less stress from ego chefs, and demanding clientele who expect the world. (She had been at a 3 star restaurant for a year).  This gives her the time and peace of mind to work on her music and acting.
The bar @ the Gingerman, from its website
After my lovely beer I left and started walking up 5th Avenue.  Came upon Lord and Taylor and decided to poke around.  An hour or so later, with bag in hand, containing a few tops to leave in my Manhattan home for the winter, continued walking.  Decided to head home, and stopped at a neighborhood wine store to pick up a bottle of Proscecco for Brunch in the morning, and a bottle of wine to sip while I started my notes for the weekend.
                When I got home my Roomie’s Daughter had arrived home from school for the weekend, and she had an important question for me.  Would it be okay if Daughter's best friend came to spend the night?  They didn’t want to impinge on my first night.  I thought that incredibly considerate, and said that of course that was absolutely okay, and that they never had to worry about me in that regard.  I have always loved other people’s kids!  So, Daughter left to meet up w her Friend who lives down in Union Square, to come home later.  How cool is that?  Sixteen year olds “hanging around” New York, navigating the MTA with no qualms.  Roomie left shortly after for rehearsal for her upcoming musical review of Tony award winning songs to play at a Church in the UES in February.  One of my Roomie’s many lives was musical theatre, a love she never forgot, and is now going back to it.  So, I had “my” apartment to myself, very happily poured myself a glass of wine, and proceeded to write about the first day of my “Winter in Manhattan Odyssey!”         
               Roomie arrived home a few hours later, followed shortly by the Girls.  We chatted, at which point  Daughter’s friend, told Roomie that I was “mad cool”.  (New York’s adjective used in the way that we Bostonians use “wicked”).  The young Ladies set up their bed in the living room (thank God for the genius who invented aerobeds).  Off to bed I went for my first night’s sleep in my new home away from home in New York City.

No comments:

Post a Comment