Sunday, April 1, 2012

Winter in Manhattan: Birthday Weekend

"Without leaps of imagination, or dreaming, we lose the excitement of possibilities. Dreaming, after all, is a form of planning."   Gloria Steinem

from Garoche H
               Saturday I had plans to meet with the Lady in Sutton Place neighborhood who found me through Craigslist.  But first K and I had the day to spend together before she went to work at her relatively new job at The Gingerman, a beer “joint” in mid-town which reminds me of being in the HofbrauHaus in Munich.  They even have beer for wine lovers, I know, because I’ve had one.   We started our day by going to brunch in the East Village at our favorite little French Bistro, Flea Market. (131 Avenue A, 212-358-9282).

               Then a nice brisk walk to have foot massages in Chinatown.  Foot treatments are one of the things that you can have done really cheaply in New York..  I found a page in the latest issue of Time Out Magazine detailing deals on foot treatments, so we made appointments at Relax Foot Spa at 202 Hester Street (212-226-8288).  The best $25 I have spent in years (usually $30).  It was an hour of bliss.  We got over the clothes neck and back massages as well as part of the treatment! 
"The Brook" made from recycled windshield glass
               On the way we stopped into a neat Art-Antique shop, Galleria J Antonio at 47 Avenue A where I indulged in the most expensive impulse of my life.  My first piece of original art to go into my mental retreat in Maine.  It is gorgeous!
               Off to work for K.  And back to Midtown for my meeting.  Upon opening her door, my soon to be winter "Roomie" looked at me and said that I was exactly what she expected.  I ended up spending two hours with Her, her Daughter, and Partner!  My home for my winter in Manhattan Odyssey has been found!  My new Roomie is a fascinating Lady with a great, if bittersweet story who welcomed me into her home and life for weekends for the winter!
               After leaving the lovely apartment, I treated myself to Paul Winter’s Winter Solstice Concert at the Cathedral of St John the Divine.  It was magical, mystical, and glorious, as was the Cathedral that has been on my to do list for years.  (Word to the wise, in order to get cabbies to take you anywhere in Manhattan, you must know the cross- streets of where you’re going.  I found two cab drivers who had no clue of what, or where the Cathedral is..the biggest Church in the world!  I had to call my new Roomie for help!)
Photo by Rhonda Dorsett

No comments:

Post a Comment