Sunday, April 29, 2012

Winter in Manhattan Odyssey Weekend Four: Friday

              "Motherhood: all love begins and ends there."  Robert Browning

Stayed home for a weekend, as planned, three weekends down to NYC each month.  It was nice to hibernate with PuppyHead.  Truth be told I became paranoid of the snow and ice last winter.  I’m too young to be this afraid of such accidents, aren’t I? The next Week I had, booked Megabus for after work Thursday at 9:30 pm. (free ticket!, and I have two more!).  Megabus is giving away 100,000 free tickets this winter, got myself a few!  Got “home” pretty late, but Roomie was up, and we chatted up for a bit, then to bed.
Artisanal Dining Room, from their website
            Friday woke up to sunshine, thank God.  K and I met at noon at Artisanal Restaurant, on Park and 32nd Street.for a nice birthday lunch, hers.  Roomie had highly  recommended it.  We had a great lunch, including a bottle of wine.  Decided to do a bit of shopping before K had to go off to work.  Walked up 5th Avenue, and poked into Lord & Taylor, picking up a cute dress, and top for her.  

Lou Lou Button Shop, from the website
          I then roamed around the garment district looking for a button store.  Remember Windsor Button shop?  Where are all the button places now, where does one get buttons in Boston?  Well, I found a great little shop on West 38th, with a character for an owner, Lou Lou's Button Shop.  I got five great buttons, and promptly put four of them on my coat when I got home.  (I love my coat, a big camel hair wool coat made in Italia..bought it here a few years ago at a flea market at a Church on the Upper West Side!  I lost a couple of buttons a few weeks ago.)

Food Emporium on 1st and 60th, from their website

The Sutton Wine Shop
from Kirk V on 57th
 Invited older Daughter K to join me this weekend to play for K’s birthday. K had to work today so she had tickets for the 6pm Megabus…called at 7, no bus, finally, with a lot of other frustrated people, she got on a bus at 8:15.  I had already gone to the Food Emporium to pick up some things (sushi, ready made soups, crackers and cheese, yogurts, fresh fruit..$75!).  That’s okay, she’ll be exhausted and we can chat here as I also stopped and got a couple of bottles of wine.  It really is fun to just walk out my door, and walk to pick up these odds and ends.
            K finally got here around 1a.m with Birthday Girl K following shortly after, having gotten off work “early”.  After much wine, and some great conversation, we sent K home, and we went to bed around 5 a.m.  The Girls claimed that if I could still pull nights like this with my high school friends, I could do it with them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment