Thursday, April 19, 2012

Winter in Manhattan Odyssey: Weekend One/Saturday

“To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world.” – Freya Stark

from its website
Saturday noon was the planned time for my welcome brunch.  I woke up around nine and decided to take a short walk around “my” neighborhood.  A block and a half away is a small park overlooking the East River.  Beautiful.  Back down on the corner of my street is a great little coffee shop, Orchard House Cafe on First Ave @ 58th Street, where I read The Village Voice while enjoying my coffee and muffin.  Off to check out the TJ Maxx on the next block, could prove to be dangerous living so close to a TJ’s!
                Home again, jump in my shower, put on my new bathrobe.  I’m so relaxed, and still as excited as a kid, loving it.  K arrived, and Roomie had me answer the door and invite her into “my” new home.  We had a lovely Brunch, me & my Baby, my new Roomie and her Partner, and the Teens.  A few hours later, I put my NYC face on and headed out.
  It was snowing lightly so I headed toward Central Park for my walk in the Park while snowing.  (When I decided to make this dream come true, that was the vision I kept imagining, to accomplish it on my first weekend I think is prophetic?)  I walked by way of Bloomies (2 blocks), and in six blocks I was entering Central park at 60th.  It was dusk, a gorgeous light, with snow falling lightly.  I meandered along a path and found myself at the Zoo. Then followed another walkway and found myself on one of the Park’s lovely stone bridges overlooking the Wolman Rink on one side, and a duck pond on the other. Gorgeous.  I then headed south towards one of my favorite places, The Plaza. (Another long story for another time, but I did once have an awesome weekend at the Plaza with my Daughters.) 


                I entered the main entrance of the Plaza to be greeted by a massive Christmas tree.  I then decided to check out the Food Hall bearing Todd English’s name (not a real fan).  It is a great concept, which the Batali, Bastianich, Pasternak crew has reenacted in Madison Square, Eataly.  I then headed to the renowned Oak Room for a glass of wine.  Nightmare.  As I approached it, there was music blaring, and a bouncer outside allowing in the “beautiful people”.  I promptly turned around and instead went to the Champagne Bar where Carlos poured me a lovely of glass of wine.  I relaxed, watched the snow fall, read a bit, and eavesdropped a bit on the group sharing the bar with me.  Another group of beautiful New York women, one with her older (my age) Doctor Husband.  They were gracious and friendly when I gave up my chair as I left, and we chatted briefly.
From its website
                Off to the theatre district where I decided to see Laura Linney, and Christina Ricci, in the play “Time Stands Still”.  I bought the tickets 45 minutes before show time at the box office using a www.BroadwayBox.com  code, getting a $200 seat for $85.  The show was excellent, funny, sad, bittersweet, and tragic.  After the show, I decided to walk home.  It was blustery and cold, but walking the streets of Manhattan, with many Christmas lights still glowing was magnifcent.

No comments:

Post a Comment