Sunday, April 22, 2012

Weekend Two, Saturday, Winter in Mahattan Odyssey

"Each morning when I open my eyes, I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today."  Groucho Marx

Had all good intentions to go to Central park Saturday morning to do their weekly health walk.  You know where good intentions lead..it was cold..I did some yoga in my room instead..  At noon headed out to see a Teen theatre group do scenes and music from “West Side Story” with Roomie, and friends.  It was an incredible show filled with tremendously talented teens of all shapes, sizes, and ethnicities.
                From its website:
Amas Musical Theatre (Donna Trinkoff, Artistic Producer/Rosetta LeNoire, Founder) New York City's award-winning pioneer in multiculturalism in the performing arts, now in its 43rd year. Founded by ground-breaking actress and producer Rosetta LeNoire, Amas ("you love" in Latin) is devoted to the creation, development and professional production of new American musicals through the celebration of diversity and minority perspectives, the emergence of new artistic talent, and the training and encouragement of inner-city young people.
After the show we went to a neighborhood (between Union Square and the East Village) pizza joint, and had a very nice lunch together.  Our group was Roomie and Partner, Daughter, and Roomie’s extremely interesting cousin. Cousin had lived in Cambridge and worked at WBGH (public television in Boston) in the early sixties.  Now she lives within site of the Guggenheim!, and does a lot of work with BAC.  She’s been an award winning producer (Emmy and Oscar voter!!), and writer.  Fascinating.  Also, at the show Roomie introduced us to her friend who was President of AMAS.  This Lady is an MD, survived two bouts of cancer, raised a daughter who now has children, and is exploring her love of theatre having had a one woman show.  She has been included in a book, “100 Women Who Love Their Jobs.” written by Joanne Gordon . How lucky was I to be meeting all these wonderful and fascinating people?
Inoteca from its website
          We parted ways then as I headed to the LES (Lower East Side) as I had read in Time Out New York’s website about a book reading at what sounded like, and proved to be, a funky book store in the early evening.  I poked around some shops then headed to a wine bar I’ve enjoyed in the past, Inoteca on Rivington at Ludlow.  Very excited to have one of my favorite Italian reds, Sangrantino from Umbria (usually very tough to have outside that area), along with some lovely cheeses.  Perfect.
                Contentedly I walked around the corner to the funky independent bookstore, Bluestockings, on Allen Street at Stanton.  Have you ever read the wrong book by the right author?  I feel like my bookclub of over 20 years has done so a few times.  That’s how I felt about the reading.  I’m delighted to have found this bookstore.  Their selection of books was quite interesting.   (I’ve read quite a few of their selection, so felt cool and with it!)  Don't you miss bookstores? So sad the demise of them, especially the small ones.  But, the book being discussed, was not my cup of tea.  To me, it was young radicals, against our government, blah, blah…don’t want to get into it.  Thought it was going to be a foodie book and history tied together.  Wrong.
                Then I decided to go up to the Ginger Man, again, to say a quick Hi to K.  Had piece of the chocolate cake she told me about, and another Frambois beer.  It really is like an after dinner drink!  Then headed “home” for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment